Picture from google
Just a few days ago I learned about the vagus nerve and I wonder if someone else has ever heard of it! It is the longest nerve of the autoimmune nervous system that regulates blood pressure, sweating, digestion, speaking, and heart rate. It relays anti-inflammatory signals to and from the gut, heart, lungs, liver, and spleen while promoting healthy digestion and vital living. But only when it is functioning optimally.
The article even suggested hacking the nervous system for healing. Now how would someone do this? Here are a few things we can do at home for vagus nerve stimulation.
- Breathing exercises like Buteyko
- Exercise. Movement is good; too much is not
- Omega 3 rich diet
- Probiotics and a probiotic-rich diet
- Singing and chanting
- Splashing your face with cold water
- Intermittent fasting
If you feel like your vagus nerve is not performing at optimal level, here are a few more things to research and consider.
- Heal your gut. I have long believed that autoimmune issues develop in the gut, from conditions such as leaky gut.
- Balance your minerals. Is your body too acidic?
- LAUGH! Laughing is so helpful for the stimulation of the vagus nerve
- Gargle daily
- Work on neck and shoulder tension
I hope I have given you a glimpse into alternative treatments and considerations. All you have to do is pick one and commit to it. Once you have made it a habit you can layer on another, and so on. What you have to lose? Potentially feeling better and your health it’s what at stakes here. So let’s make a conscious choice, and pick one.
There are few on the list that apply to me and which could benefit from improvement. I am tackling a big one as I frequently deal with neck and shoulder tension. I have honest heart to hearts scheduled with myself to address the issues that cause these tensions. Hot showers and range of motion exercises will also be helpful alleviating some of the triggers.
Good luck everyone….